General Studies-I :
Indian Heritage and Culture, History and
Geography of the World and Society.
• Indian culture will cover the salient aspects of Art Forms,
literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
• Modern Indian history from about the middle of the
eighteenth century until the present- significant events,
• The Freedom Struggle — its various stages and
important contributors/contributions from different
parts of the country.
• Post-independence consolidation and reorganization
within the country.
• History of the world will include events from 18th century
such as industrial revolution, world wars, redrawal of
national boundaries, colonization, decolonization,
political philosophies like communism, capitalism,
socialism etc.— their forms and effect on the society.
• Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
• Role of women and women’s organization, population
and associated issues, poverty and developmental
issues, urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
• Effects of globalization on Indian society.
• Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism &
• Salient features of world’s physical geography.
• Distribution of key natural resources across the world
(including South Asia and the Indian sub-continent);
factors responsible for the location of primary,
secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts
of the world (including India).
• Important Geophysical phenomena such as
earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic activity, cyclone etc.,
geographical features and their location-changes in
critical geographical features (including water-bodies
and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of